Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Making Things Happen In The Kitchen

I'm not really sure why, but I go through major phases where I stop cooking. The most confusing part of this to me is that cooking is one of my favorite past times. It is healthier, cheaper, and usually tastier (except when I totally screw up) then going out. However, a few days ago I decided this hiatus has gone on long enough and I marched (drove) to Sprouts. I would say 9 times out of 10 I lean on a Skinnytaste recipe. If you haven't ever checked Gina out, she's amazing! Her recipes are the reason I was able to stick to Weight Watchers in college. Ok, on to the recipe! 

Skinnytaste Crock Pot Balsamic Pork Roast (slightly modified) 

Ingredients: 

  • 2 pound boneless pork shoulder roast (sirloin roast)
  • kosher salt, to taste
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2 large sweet onions 

First I trimmed any extra fat off of the pork. Then liberally season all sides of the roast with the salt, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. I used some extra red pepper flakes because I like my food spicy! 

Then I wanted to add onions to the recipe so I just sliced up some sweet onions and threw them in the bottom of the crock pot. 

Then I put the roast on top of the onions, they made a nice little bed for it. The next step is to combine the chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce and pour over the roast. 

Finally, drizzle the honey over the roast. 


I have a little too for this step. I always spray my measuring cup or spoon with non stick spray before adding honey. It lets all of the honey come out of the spoon and makes for easier clean up! 


The last step is the hardest, the waiting! I set my crock pot for 8 hours and went to work! 


I think the most rewarding part of a crock pot recipe, besides having dinner cook itself while you're busy, is the smell when when you walk in the door. Heaven! Then you pull that delicious thing out of the crock pot and get to shredding! 


Quick and easy 5 point meal that made enough to eat all week! I love having several meals out of one recipe! You guys should hurry up and give this a try! 

I served this with oven roasted broccoli (0pp) and oven roasted rosemary potatoes (3pp weight watcher recipe)!





2 comments:

  1. That looks amazing!!! Great tip about using the no stick spray with the honey, I would have never thought of that! It looks delicious and sounds easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! I didn't get tired of eating it either which is when I really know I've found a winner!

      Delete